Thursday, June 4, 2009

Some New Life For Downtown?

Two projects were in the news concerning the Downtown area and they both are making me hopeful that we are on a path towards a better, more vibrant, Downtown Peabody. Now these things alone will not save or change anything, and let's face it, a CVS is just another separate parking, 'disconnected' store... but its a start.

The Peabody Lynnfield Weekly News:
Gateway site to city finally sees shovels in the ground

The Peabody Lynnfield Weekly News:
City moves ahead on second grant for Walnut St park
Note: the PLWN only maintains its web new for approximately one week

The Salem News: Legal spat aside, 'gateway CVS is a go


While I really can't imaging the need for an additional big-box drug store in Downtown (I mean we have the Walgreens on Main and the Walgreens just down the road in Salem) I will admit that I am not an expert on retail establishment real estate. So this new store will be just about half way between the two Walgreens.

The architectural rendering is very nice... but they always are. The proof will be in the pudding... will it look this nice when it is done? I certainly hope so. And let's face it, it is replacing a gigantic eye sore that has been looking worse everyday for the last 5 years.

I do hope that the city will be receiving some funding for the Riverwalk project (in land or $$$ - or both) as it will only make the area more attractive and thus better for all the stores in the area. Add this to the new gas station that Stop & Shop is planning and Howley Street will be rather spiffed up.

The Walnut Street Park is also back in the news - perhaps this time more for the fact that it DIDN'T result in yet another fracas at the City Council meeting.

It seem that Councilors Mello and Sinewitz have decided to not try and block the forward momentum towards building the park but, as Councilor Mello said, he is still against it.

“There’s no mistake that I was against this,” Mello said last month, adding that he now supported the plans with “great reservation.”

My guess is that " ...support[ing] the plan with great reservation" is code for I hate this project, but I better get on board because it is going to happen anyway. And I can only surmise that in the future one of two outcomes will happen:

1) The Park will be a failure: Mello will be handing out the blame saying "I TOLD YOU SO!"

2) The Park will be a success: Mello will be in the front of the line accepting the praise for his good work.

But enough about that. I am just happy that the majority of the Council and the administration recognise the wonderful potential this park holds.

9 comments:

the Outfront Guy* said...

OG says..
without parking and new downtown residential development these stores and restaurants will not prosper...end of story.

Anonymous said...

Pi, stick a sock in it.

Peabody_Insider said...

Well I actually do not see the parking issue as the big problem. The inclusion of more housing downtown is an important piece of the solution for a more vibrant and livable City.

To Anon, Your insightful comments are touching. I am actually wearing my socks at the moment though.

~deleted duplicate copy~

The Contrarian said said...

The Contrarian said
Hey PI. You are one long winded son of a gun. Do you ever get tired of listening to yourself. Like that classic bore OG you got a clue but yet you choose to peck away at your keyboard analyzing the issues to shreds instead of becoming part of the change that we need. You make me sick.

Peabody_Insider said...

Contrarian:

The phone number for the Lahey Emergency department is (978) 538-4000. I hope you feel better soon.

So if I understand you correctly... you are mad because I seem to "get" some of the problems and (I hope) have a rational approach to finding some answers to them?

And the reason you are mad is because I won't do what... run for office? That is a major undertaking - one that really takes several years to prepare for... to gather a team of like-minded friends and supporters, to spend your own money on fliers, buttons, bumper stickers, etc... to bother friends, family and strangers for campaign contributions, to need the time to spend to go to each constituents house and business and explain your ideas and seek their input and try and get their support...

So in order to not make you mad, I need to ignore my family and career, spend my time and money... all to try and join the most hated group of people this City has ever seen... our local elected government?

Show me YOUR PULLED PAPERS... and I will sign yours and YOU can sign mine.

The Contrarian said...

The Contrarian
There you go. The fire in the belly is burning. You want it bad PI and you won't pull the trigger. Step up or step out. You and that other nerdy OG come on here and make a hell of a lot of sense but what good is it really doing ? You make me sick because you could be somebody.

Peabody_Insider said...

My dear contrarian,

Don't take this the wrong way but I really don't need your approval to make me feel good about myself.

And while I understand your need for a clever sign off, can the you make me sick portion of your posts here, or I will be forced to remove them for exhibiting childish behavior.

Welcome to the frey.

Anonymous said...

nothing like freedom of speech ! don't be scared of the truth.

Peabody_Insider said...

Truth is fine. Opinion is fine. Bashing of political activities is even fine.

Childish insults are not fine. Making gross accusations NOT about political activities are NOT fine. Using swears is NOT fine.

I have not edited or deleted one post here for any reason other than the above reasons (and I have only deleted 3 total, I believe) and ONLY after warnings had been given to these posters.

Again, everyone is welcome to participate but keep it at an intelligent adult level.

 
Elegant template from BlogMundi
Photo credit: Elizabeth Thomsen, CCL